ANY kids are moving out to go to uni – but unfortunately that does not spell the end of their costs for parents.
According to the National Student Money Survey, mums and dads fork out around £134 a month to help their children with student living.
It’s all too tempting for your kids to spend and spend at uni, but now there’s no need…Getty – Contributor
To cut costs, make sure you all take advantage of student discounts. Here’s how . . .
- Tech a break. New tech can really put a dent in the wallet but students can save £253 on the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 at microsoft.com. You also get free access to Office 365, including Microsoft Word. Apple also offers great deals. By signing up with UNiDAYS, they can grab ten per cent off Macs and 20 per cent off AppleCare+.SAVE: up to £253
- Prime saving. Amazon is great for shopping for pretty much everything. And if your kids tend to leave things to the last minute, next-day delivery comes in seriously handy. Students can get six months free with a UNiDAYS account and then it is half price at just £3.99 a month. Perks include photo storage and flat-fee grocery delivery.SAVE: £3.99 per month
- Meal deals. Students are not always fans of cooking, but there are great deals to be had when it comes to nabbing takeaways or eating out. With a valid student card, they can get up to 50 per cent off main meals at Bella Italia (terms apply). And they get 35 per cent off a £25 spend at Domino’s Pizza. So if you are helping them with food money, this will save some dough.SAVE: up to 50 per cent
- Halls you need. Students will be amazed at the amount of equipment needed for the kitchen at halls, so head to Argos where you can pick up a 50-piece essentials kit for £50 — far cheaper than other alternatives, such as Noah’s Box for £89. If you’re helping with making halls feel homely, lessen the cost by heading to Lidl where you can grab all the essentials for under £75 in their student essentials range — including a single duvet for just £9.99.SAVE: £39 on kitchen kit
- Prices correct at time of press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
Deal of the day
This £12 Peacocks dress will make a cheap thrill at university
LOOKING for a fashion update? This £12 Peacocks dress is available in various styles and colours from today, online and in stores.
Birds Eye Chunky Cod Fillets are now just £3 at Morrisons
FISH Friday is here! Grab a pack of frozen Birds Eye Chunky Cod Fillets for £3 at Morrisons, usually £4.50.SAVE: £1.50
This £6.99 H&M plate will be a stand out feature in the messy student kitchen
BUY this pink textured plate from H&M for £6.99, below, instead of the Sophie Conran alternative for £14, above.SAVE: £7.01
Reader’s saving tip
ANN BRADSHAW, from Hockley, Essex, says: “To freshen up potpourri, add fragrance oil to bring it back to smelling lovely and fresh.”
- Send your suggestions to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and get 28 codes, worth £5, if we print yours here. Please include your name and town.
Shop and save
You can get two for £20 on selected crates of beer and cider at Tesco
GET two for £20 on selected crates of beer and cider at Tesco.SAVE: Up to £8
My Sun Savers fiver
ALAN BENSON from Arnold, Notts, says: “I will be using my Sun Savers fivers to help celebrate my 88th birthday.”
- Send your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and get 28 codes, worth £5, if we print yours here. Please include your name and town.
Get two free tickets to Sea Life – start collecting tomorrow
by Alice Hall
I’M dressed in protective clothing and crouched among a waddle of hungry penguins.
A sardine dangles from my right hand, while Niffler the chick pecks inquisitively at my gloved finger.
Alice has a go at feeding the penguins at Sea LifePaul Tonge – The Sun
I’m at SEA LIFE Birmingham Aquarium where I am lucky enough to feed 19 adorable gentoo penguins, including two chicks that were born in May this year.
Julie Travers, 28, who is part of the centre’s animal care team, demonstrates the feeding technique and tells us about the species.
She explains: “Gentoo penguins are known for their personalities, their cheekiness and being friendly in the penguin world.”
They originate from Antarctica, so the gentoo enclosure is kept at 8C to mimic their natural environment.
When we enter the frosty enclosure, we are greeted by an excited waddling crowd.
First to accept a fish is Madonna, who lingers long enough for me to stroke her tummy.
Monty, the alpha male, shows off by diving into the water, while bossy Arabelle greedily snatches fish from other penguins.
The atmosphere is cheeky and playful, and you can’t help but fall in love with their adorable antics.
And you can meet Monty and his pals, too, as we are giving away two FREE tickets to SEA LIFE Aquariums, worth up to £60, with Sun Superdays.
Simply collect NINE Sun Savers codes or TEN tokens from those printed daily in the paper from tomorrow until Tuesday, September 24.
Choose from TEN aquariums across the UK. Pick up tomorrow’s Sun for our four-page SEA LIFE pullout and to start collecting.
Play now to win £50,000 on the Sun
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £50k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
Join thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £50k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
MOST READ IN MONEY TIPS
Home Bargains shoppers are raving about a 99p spider repellent
Mum-of-three explains how she spends under £10 a week on 15 packed lunches
TAKE A BREAK
How to get 32 days off work next year by taking just 15 days’ holiday
DON’T MISS OUT
Martin Lewis warns first-time buyers to open a Help to Buy Isa now
IN A WHIRL
B&M slashes price of its £150 sell-out Lay-Z Spa hot tub to £50
SAFE AS HOUSES
Couple save £20k deposit by switching supermarkets and holidaying in the UK
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org